Sunday, March 8, 2009

Toddler Wise Here We Come!

Okay- A bit of "venting" going on in this post...and a plea for wisdom! I am in desperate need for some new books- books telling me about toddlers and not infants because apparently Rody is ready for the next stage. Don't get me wrong, he is still as sweet and adorable as ever, but he is starting to exert his little will and push his limits....and we are not sure how to handle it.

For instance, he has learned a word that I can only assumes "no" to him, but it sounds like a nasally "ah"...he gets this look on his face (that only a mother could love), says "ah", turns his body, pushes his arm out to push away whatever item/person is around and you get the picture...at first it was cute, but now we realize we need to assess this situation with a little more than "isn't he just cute?"...

I want my child to be normal--and I know that things like this are normal- but I also want him to be obedient, behave, and be kind...etc, etc, so I was on amazon tonight and almost bought "todder wize", "baby wise II: 5-15 months" and "Bringing up Boys" by Dr. James Dobson....have any of you read any of these?

You see, I am a big book person...I've been reading about 3 books consistently to help me with the first year of mothering---if you want to know the three books are a breastfeeding mother's companion (awesome!), Your baby's first year week by week (thanks V&J!) and the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears-all great reads.

I guess I'm not that confident to go just on my "instincts" just yet, but I am learning to trust and use them more.

Anyways, we love our baby boy and want to handle this new stage wisely....not overreacting to anything, but being mindful to handle this responsiblity with grace wisdom.

Funny story. I started to teach him the sign for "please" today. If you don't know, please is when you take your hand and make circular motions with it on your chest area. So, I am showing him the please sign over and over at various times throughout the day. As he was sitting in my lap eating peas tonight, I said "rody say please" and he looked at me and took his hand to rubbed my chest in a circular motion. I laughed out loud and almost peed my pants...it was too precous! He did that several more times...we're working on it!


5 comments:

KatieMGreen said...

Toddler wise wasn't all that great for me... but then again, I only really read certain parts (eating, I think).
I think they are just figureigng out their independance. What I have found that works best to not to say "no" too many times. Say it once, then direct her attention to something else so she doesn't throw a fit. It seems to work.
Good luck. Rody is a cutie!

The Watsons said...

I can't speak on Baby Wise II because I only have the first one, but Dr. Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys" is really awesome. It's not going to help you with this current discipline issue, but it is worth reading just the same. It's more about the way boys' minds and bodies are designed and how to best give them the things they need. In fact, I would recommend more fathers read it than even mothers. It really speaks to the importance of a strong, wise, godly, male influence in a boy's life. Very captivating!

I was actually asking another mom the other day about when to start time-outs. Tyler has been doing what Rody is doing for a while now, but it doesn't seem to stem from blatant disobedience...I don't think he's cognitively capable of that just yet. However, her suggestion was to start practicing on time-outs between 15 and 16 months (for things that you are repeatedly telling him not to do) so that as the willful stuff begins closer to 18 months, there's a process already in place. Her words were, "That way, you're not pulling a Super Nanny episode where a one minute time out turns into three hours of drama." :)

Sorry this is long. I'm navigating the same road you are. I don't want to be unreasonable in my expectations, but I also don't want to have a disobedient, spoiled rotten toddler on my hands. Let me know if you find any golden nuggets of wisdom!!

The Watsons said...

Hey! I thought I had your regular email address, but apparently not!

Here's a link to a very similar (same manufacturer) tent/tunnel like we bought for Ty:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267176

It's by playhut and Danny actually found it at a sports store (Academy Sports) for $24.99 and then we saw it at Toys R Us for $29.99. So, either way, it's about the same price (and completely worth double its price once you see the smiles and hear the laughs it brings!!).

Hope Rody can get one soon!

kristymasterson said...

I am in a moms bible study were we are reading and discussing "don't make me count to three" by ginger plowman. It is about biblical...I mean using scripture with your child for "teaching, reproof" etc. It is quite impressive. I am excited to use it. Other moms in the study with older kids say that after time and the scripture implemented it is the power of God's word active in your home.

Stacy said...

OH Katie....I had to laugh :) not at you but WITH YOU! Mine are 5 yrs. old and 3 1/2 yrs old and when you find a good book about how to handle that kind of stuff - please let me know! AAHHHHH Sometimes I ask myself ~ there has to be an easy answer on how to fix this problem but I haven't figured the answers out yet! :) Something NEW happens EVERYDAY and so you just have to roll with it and use your best judgement........you are doing a wonderful job so keep it up!