Friday, May 22, 2009

So Proud!

GPS competed at the Tennessee State Track and Field meet over the last few days. In years past, GPS as a team has won state...many times. However, this year we only took about 15 athletes to state, but we did really well with just those girls.
And I am especially proud of my throwers!!! Here is Simone, a 9th grader and she qualified for state and even better...SHE WON!!! I was so excited...just to have your athlete compete and do their best at a meet of that caliber is awesome. I know the feeling of the pressure in those meets--I've experienced that many times---both resulting in defeat and a few times victory...
Simone threw 35'9.5'' to win the event. The top three girls all threw over 35'...this is pretty good for our division
And my discus girls...both seniors...I have coached them since the 10th grade...track is not their primary sport, but they were dedicated during the season!
Gwyn is on the left and Heather on the right.
The proud coach!Funny...Heather is taller than me, but somehow this picture doesn't show it!!!


Heather was ranked #1 and she finished as #1...what an accomplishment! She threw 114'2'' to win...a PR for her as well. She just started spinning this year. She has the potential to be an amazing discus thrower---6'1'' tall, athletic, strong, but volleyball is her love and she is playing volleyball in college in the fall at UTC...


Gwyn qualified for State as a wild card and really wanted to throw over 1o0'. She just started spinning about a month ago...and three of her four throws were PR's...2 of them over 100'!!! I cried...seriously..I was so excited for them!

To make it even sweeter, it was Heather's 18th birthday!!! So, she won state on her 18th birthday- how memorable!


Congratulations, girls! I'll miss y'all Heather and Gwyn....
It's been an amazing ride and I'm proud to have been your coach!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Way to go State Champ Coach! Very proud and exciting moments for you. And I'm proud of you. :) We both know coaching young kids to throw is no easy task. What an awesome reward for you to see them succeed!