Saturday, May 8, 2010

You're Simply The Best

Don't judge me. I didn't send my mom a mother's day card this year. I know...I'm terrible. But sometimes it is all I can do to remember to brush my teeth these days. However, I wanted to put together this post to honor my mom. I hope it shows how I've thought about you tonight, mom, and how many wonderful memories I have of us throughout my life...
______________________________________________________
It all started in 1979...I'm my mom's third child...third daughter...and I was 11 days late. And was a terrible labor for her...so terrible they were done having kids, until you know Caleb surprisingly came along :0)
Here are my parents just about a month before my arrival...

And really, who can blame my mom for loving this face so much?!

And here we are on my first birthday. I just love this picture. I know that I don't actually remember my first birthday, but this picture just shows me how special my mom is...and I've made a conscious effort/decision to have a picture like this with each of my children on their birthdays...

My mom and I have had some fun adventures together. One of our first trips together was when I was in highschool and we went to Boston for a national track meet for me to throw the indoor shot put. I remember seeing the weight throw there for the first time and saying outloud that there was no way I could ever throw that...ha ha..God must have been laughing!
Then throughout college mom and I traveled to California a bunch for NCAA meets and USATF track meets as well. Sometimes we'd make it a big trip--going to visit family in San Diego one time or driving out through Yellowstone and stopping for a hike...swimming in Lake Tahoe...you name it...
We've also been out to Europe together...serving on a missions trip in France for two weeks, going to Poland to meet family, and spending one night in Paris visiting the Eiffel Tower...On one of those long trips on a plane ride I was getting a little nervous. At some point in my life I developed a fear of flying..I don't know when this started b/c it didn't really bother me in college when I flew a lot...but I was very nervous due to some turbulance...and it was just my mom and I on the plane...she reached over and touched my hand and said "mommy's here, mommy's here"...such encouraging words...and I felt safe...thank you, mom...


__________________________________________________
How could I forget the ski trip to Squaw Valley? You amazed me with your ability to take a ski class and ski down the mountain all in one day...and with such fashionable style!


And of course when you decided to throw on your wetsuit and raft some river I cannot pronounce while we were in France...I'll never forget the words "Security...Security..." and seeing all of us crouch down low in the boat...

Or riding a gondola high in the French Alps together.....

And sitting in the memorable chair in Tahoe...
But I can honestly say I never truly understood the heartache, fullness, and love that come with motherhood until I became one myself...and you became my children's grandmother...
Rody in March of 08

Anna Kate February 2010

I could say so many things...but I overwhelmingly feel thankfulness right now. Thankful that you are my mom...thankful that you are my children's grandmother...thankful that you are a prayer warrior...thankful that because of the Lord Jesus Christ I'll never have to truly ever say goodbye...I love you, mom. Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

The Watsons said...

I think your mom will agree that this post is WAAAAAAAY better than any card Hallmark could create. So sweet. So heartfelt. Beautiful.