Friday, January 23, 2009

Randy's political and theological quest

**Update**
Just FYI--This was written by Randy and I feel the same way about all of his views as stated below, but I didn't want to take away from the fact that this was something he wrote today**

Sorry no pics, only a political and theological rant if you will indulge me. I have been on a quest of sorts for the past several weeks. As a part of this quest, I have experienced a wide range of emotions that have been evoked by my personal and theological reflection of the past and my anticipation for the uncertain future. My quest was partially impacted by the transition to power from the Bush administration to the new Obama administration. I am very fond of the now former President Bush and was sad to see him hand over power. Tuesday, as Rody and I watched the inauguration I sought to contemplate on the nature of “change” that we as a people would soon embark upon. I was left to ponder for only a short time. Obama has recently disclosed his radically leftist agenda to close Gitmo, sign the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA), and aggressively fight on behalf of the Gay, Lesbian, and transgender individuals (listed on http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/civil_rights/). Upon finding out the Obama agenda I was even more sad and confused. How can the American people much less Christians elect a person who is so radical in his stance on morality? By signing the FOCA, he would undo all that President Bush did to limit abortions. This act would reinstate dreadful partial birth abortions and propel the nature, frequency, and cruelty of killing babies in and out of the womb to levels not seen in this country before. Considering Obama’s long reported stance on abortion coupled with the liberal media’s strong support for homosexuality and ridicule of traditionalists in light of the passing of prop 8, I am left to ponder. What will become of these United States? How long will God tarry given our blatant killing of babies and our accepting of homosexuality as something this is natural and justified in the name of societal tolerance? This leads me to the two questions behind my quest. Where is God and who/where are His people? These two questions have been embedded in my psyche as a reoccurring lamentation. Where is the voice of the righteous speaking loudly? Is the voice of the righteous muted by ultimately failing righteousness as defined in scripture and adopting a righteousness that is defined according to our postmodern society and the stream of liberal theologians? This of course is righteousness that seeks inclusiveness in order redefine love, togetherness, and morality according to tolerance and anything other is hateful obtrusiveness. Biblical righteousness, on the other hand, is that which involves participation in the divine nature through an active faith that produces actual holiness encompassing the crucial element of love. This is a love that proclaims liberation with the voice of triumph not from oppressors who oppose a certain lifestyle but freedom from the lifestyle that holds a person bondage confining him/her in death and darkness. I would assert that love is the most crucial element of redemptive life. If this is true then love must provoke a burden inwardly caused by sin. How long will the righteous keep quite by hiding in safe communities of family and the ecclesiastical body? These societal issues along with our personal/professional struggles with finding God and His will for our life continues to leave me perplexed. I suppose I am left to continue my wrestling. Maybe these thoughts whether you agree or disagree will induce mental contemplation and spiritual reflection. Rody just woke up, time to shake his hand through the rails of his crib!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Katie, I am with you. This week has left me in a similar state. With my (Christian) book club who are all mothers with similar views, I shared that I am left without answers but know we should be praying. Praying for President Obama. I heard on the news the Obama's are "church shopping" in DC and that they are considering a Baptist church. I am praying for that church, for those pastors and that they lead the Obama's to change their hearts and beliefs. Michelle Obama is a big part of her husband's decisions. So I am praying for her too.

The Watsons said...

You are echoing the hearts here at the Watson household, as well. We are stumped and confused and angry and pained to see what it happening to our country. It particularly hurts us knowing that we, along with so many other military families, have given so much and feeling as if all the sacrifices were/are worthless.

I am confident, however, that our God is the same today as He was yesterday and the day before, and He will be the same tomorrow and the day after that. We don't need to be stagnant, but we should certainly trust His soveriegnty in all things. Including this.

Well written. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I just wrote the following on my Facebook page yesterday. I think God must be stirring up the hearts of His people who are called by His name because there are a lot of my friends who feel this way.

"Our contry is celebrating our new President. The media is treating him as if he were flawless. I like the excitement and the sense of hope that has come with this historic election, but I am concerned with some agenda items that Omaba has on his list as President - especially the homosexual initiative and abortion. Though it's to be expected from a liberal, it is very scary the spiritual reprocutions the country will reap if they are passed. Read them for yourself at Whitehouse.gov to form your own opinions.

The homosexual agenda is under the "Civil Rights" label and abortion is under "women". I do like his stance on helping women in other matters, but what about the unborn. Who's standing up for them? Obama has already reversed the ban on US abortion aid to foreign nongovernmental organizations just as Clinton had done in 1993. He did this quietly while he had just earlier closed the prison in Guantanamo (a polular decision) with all the press present. By the way, one of the prisoners released is already an Al Queda commander.

“For the past eight years, they have undermined efforts to promote safe and effective voluntary family planning in developing countries,” Mr. Obama said of the restrictions. “For these reasons, it is right for us to rescind this policy and restore critical efforts to protect and empower women and promote global economic development.” At what cost - the murder of defenseless unborn children for convenience because a pregnancy was "unplanned"? Many people living today were "unplanned" and they are just as much a person as anyone else. Planned or unplanned - God has created us all in His image and He loves us ALL. Also, as Rick Warren prayed during the Innauguration, we will all be held accountable for our actions the day we stand before the Lord."

-Allan Autry